Updating your bat’s grip can be more than a material change. A new bat wrap can help you hold onto your baseball or softball bat through the swing with better grip. This can lead to more control and better success in the batter’s box. A new bat grip can also be a more comfortable option than worn-out or old tapings.
An easy way to upgrade your swing is with new bat grip tape. This accessory is easy to install and can cater to your hitting needs.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT BAT GRIP TAPE
Installing bat grip gives you more options than you might first believe. For one, you can choose a different color to add style and personality to each plate appearance. You can also choose between a thin, medium or thick bat tape to customize your swing’s feel.
A thinner bat grip can help you bring your bat through the strike zone quicker, which can yield positive hitting results. On the opposite end, a thicker bat grip can enhance your comfort when holding your baseball or softball bat. A bat grip with medium thickness can be a nice blend of performance and comfort.
Whichever colorway and thickness you choose is up to personal preference. Once you’ve made your decision, you can get wrapped up in the installation process.
INSTALLING BAT GRIP TAPE
To re-grip your bat, you’ll need the following items:
- Bat grip tape
- Electrical tape
Wrapping your bat is a simple process. To begin:
- Make sure to remove your old bat wrap. This will allow you to start with a clean slate.
- Unravel your new bat tape and locate one of the pre-cut ends.
- Peel off a portion of the backing and place the unfinished end closest to the knob. The unfinished end is the flat side of the bat tape, while the tapered end should face toward the barrel.
- While applying tension to the tape, begin wrapping the grip around the handle. It can be helpful to follow the perforations along the tape to achieve that uniform coverage.
- Continue to wrap the bat grip tape around the handle until complete.
- Next, cut a small piece of electrical tape to wrap around the final grip revolutions. This can help secure the grip to the handle.
- If available, you can finish off your baseball or softball bat grip with the finishing sticker. Place this over the electrical tape to give your grip tape a more complete look. The finishing sticker is not completely necessary, however, and is only a cosmetic addition.
Understanding how to install bat grip tape can be a great way to improve your comfort and control at the plate. Use these guidelines from Pro Tips to learn how to replace your baseball or softball bat grip.
Ready to step into the batter’s box with a fresh wrap on your favorite wood bat? Follow these extra tricks from Pro Tips on how to get the most out of your wood bat.