Ready to strengthen the largest muscle group in your arms? Try these quick and effective triceps exercises. They’re perfect for beginners and avid gym-goers alike. Simply choose a dumbbell weight that suits your fitness level and get started.
THE TRICEPS WORKOUT
Complete these exercises for triceps in three cycles with 12 reps for each. For the dumbbell row and triceps kickbacks, perform the triceps exercises 12 times on each side.
For this triceps workout, you’ll need dumbbells, an exercise mat and a flat weight bench or chair.
1. TRICEPS DIPS
- Sit on the edge of a weight bench or chair.
- Walk your feet a few inches forward until your tailbone grazes the front of the bench.
- Bend your arms, lowering your elbows to about a 90-degree angle, and then pause.
- Slowly lift yourself back up to the starting position by straightening your arms. Keep your legs stationary throughout the exercise.
To increase the intensity of this triceps exercise, walk your feet farther away from the bench.
2. TRICEPS KICKBACKS
For this triceps exercise, you’ll use a bench or chair for support. You’ll keep one hand and knee on the bench. Make sure to maintain a flat back with a firm core and keep your neck neutral.
- Hold a dumbbell at your side with your arm bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Keep your palm facing inward while you extend your arm backward in line with your torso.
- Lift your straightened arm a little past your hip and squeeze your triceps at the top of the movement.
- Return your arm to a bent position in a controlled motion. Repeat the movement until you’ve done 12 reps and then switch to the other side.
3. DUMBBELL ROW
Start with one hand and one knee on the bench for support. Your hand should be flat on the bench with your arm straight. The hand that’s not touching the bench will lift and hold the weight. Just like triceps kickbacks, you’ll maintain a flat back with a firm core while keeping your neck neutral.
- Lift your elbow in line with your torso to about 90 degrees.
- When you get to the top, squeeze your triceps.
- Lower the dumbbell back down with control and repeat. Fully extend your arm by raising the weight back to the starting position.
- When done with your reps, switch sides.
4. OVERHEAD EXTENSIONS
This exercise can be performed standing or sitting on your bench or chair.
- Start the overhead extension by lifting the dumbbell above your head with both hands holding onto one end.
- Keeping your biceps close to your ears, lower the weight slowly behind your head.
- Raise the weight back to your starting position.
- Be sure to sit up straight and tall, with your feet flat on the ground and knees bent.
5. PLANK WITH LATERAL RAISE
- Start in a high plank position, with your palms flat on the ground and your toes touching the floor.
- Keep a flat back and firm core.
- Lift one arm out to the side, keeping it in line with your shoulder and parallel to the ground.
- Lower your arm back down and repeat the motion with your other arm.
- Avoid opening your hips to the side when you lift your arm.
These five triceps exercises may be quick, but they’re great for toning and building muscle. For other arm strengthening exercises, try this circuit workout with five simple biceps exercises.