Every teen knows that summer coming to a close can mean only one thing: school starts soon. For teens, a new year means a new chance to show off their style. And you can’t go wrong with brands like Champion, adidas, Nike, Under Armour, DSG, Patagonia, Vans and The North Face.
Pro athlete stylist Calyann Barnett is an expert when it comes to finding the perfect look. Here are her top tips on shopping for your teen boy.
Barnett says that shoes are a key part of any look. Whether it’s to make a statement or tie an outfit together, you should start from the ground up. When buying shoes, look for a pair that is versatile and doesn’t put your teen into a box.
“The right kicks make the outfit,” Barnett says.
- Vans Men’s Checkerboard Slip-On Shoes
- adidas Men’s Ultraboost 19 Running Shoes
- Nike Men’s Air Max 97 Shoes
“Kids love nostalgia, love the ‘90s vibe,” Barnett says. “They want to live in our era, which should make it easy for you.”
Look for pieces that have a retro feel or classic brands that are making a comeback.
- Champion Men’s Script Jersey Graphic Tee
- Nike Men’s Sportswear Windrunner Jacket
- adidas Originals National Waist Pack
LOOK FOR STATEMENT PIECES
When shopping, Barnett says that you want to buy pieces rather than outfits. This prevents teens from getting stuck wearing the same thing. As for what pieces to buy, Barnett encourages teens not to be afraid to use patterns or even mix different patterns together.
“You want people to look at you and know you have that swagger, that style, and that you’re confident in what you’re wearing,” she says.
- Champion Life Men’s Reverse Weave All Over Logo Crewneck Sweatshirt
- adidas Men’s Post Game Allover Print Crewneck Sweatshirt
- Nike Men’s Sportswear Woven Camo Track Pants
BALANCE LOOKS WITH NEUTRAL COLORS
Incorporating neutral colors into your look has two key benefits. The first is that you can mix and match them with nearly anything else in your closet.
Also, if you do go for patterns, adding a neutral item to an outfit can help balance it out.
- The North Face Men’s Horizon 2.0 Hiking Shorts
- Patagonia Men’s Performance Twill Pants
- Under Armour Men’s Armour Fleece Full-Zip Hoodie