How to Choose a Jogging StrollerWant to bring your bundle of joy on a jog? Discover the features of jogging strollers with this guide.
If you’re having trouble finding the time to go on a run since having children, consider taking them with you. Jogging and running strollers can help you get back into your fitness routine. But, first, you’ll need to know how to find the best jogging stroller for both a safe run and a comfortable ride.
This Pro Tips guide breaks down what to consider when shopping for a jogging stroller.
JOGGING STROLLER VS REGULAR STROLLER
Your regular stroller isn’t meant for running. But jogging strollers have certain features that make them better suited for workouts.
- Brakes: Regular strollers will have a parking brake. However, a jogging stroller has an additional handbrake on the handlebar. This can help you keep better control, especially when jogging up or down hills.
- Wheels: A jogging stroller’s three wheels are typically larger to help with a smoother ride over bumps. The front wheel is also fixed for improved control.
- Suspension: To help avoid a rough ride for your child, jogging strollers will have shock absorbers. They are typically found by the rear wheels. Some models have adjustable suspension options depending on your baby’s weight.
- Leg room: A jogging stroller allows a little more space beneath the handlebars to help make room for your strides.
- Size: Jogging strollers tend to have larger frames and are heavier than regular strollers.
JOGGING STROLLER FEATURES
To find the best jogging stroller for you, there are a few features to consider that can vary between models.
- Safety strap: For added safety measures, most jogging strollers offer a hand strap on the handlebar. One end connects to the stroller, while the other goes around your wrist.
- Adjustable handle: A handlebar at the wrong height can impact your running form. To account for height differences between parents, some strollers have adjustable handlebars.
- Reclining seat: Some strollers will have a reclining seat for the child.
- Harness: Help keep your child secure with a five-point harness. This style of harness utilizes five straps – two for the shoulders, two for the hips and one between the legs.
- Canopy: The stroller’s canopy can have multiple positions. Some have peekaboo windows so you can check on your child while you jog.
JOGGING STROLLER ACCESSORIES
Along with the typical features of a jogging stroller, you can also find some add-ons. These jogging stroller accessories can help make your run and your child’s ride a little more comfortable.
- Wheel Reflectors: Some strollers have built-in reflectors to help you stand out in low-light situations. If your stroller doesn’t have them, they’re easy to add and clip onto the wheels.
- Cup holders: Bring your beverage with you by attaching a cup holder to the stroller’s handle.
- Snack tray: Let your little one bring their own snack and drink with them with this add-on.
- Mesh cover: Shield the sun and wind with a mesh cover that can also help keep insects away.
JOGGING STROLLER SIZE
There are three things you should keep in mind when it comes to the size of the stroller: your size, your child’s size and your storage size.
- Height: As previously mentioned, proper running form can be hindered if the handlebar height is not at the correct level. If your stroller doesn’t have an adjustable handle, look for one that works for your height.
- Child’s size: Make sure you’re getting a stroller that’s intended for your child’s size and age. There are both bassinet stroller options and “sit up” options.
- Multiple children: Just like regular strollers, jogging strollers have double and tandem-style options.
- Storing: Make sure to look at the stroller’s folding options. This can be crucial for traveling or storage. Some stroller’s also have the option of removing the wheels to make storing more convenient.
Start logging miles with your little one by finding the jogging stroller that’s right for you. You can also bring your child along for these jogging stroller workouts from Pro Tips.